Help!. Steering head bearings

Julian Solomensky jsolo at solo-tek.com
Sun Aug 19 13:51:29 PDT 2007

Hello Paul,

I think the head bearings are relatively easy to do except for the tripple tree race.  That one is a bitch and a half to get off.

The races in the frame can be removed using a punch/drift tool.

Install new ones by using a block of wood and carefully hammer around the perimeter of the race.

You'll can tell by the pitch of the sound made when the races have seated.

As for the tripple tree race/bearing, a buddy of mine ground down a slide hammer attachment and was able to beat it off that way.  I forget what was used to install the new one.  I think it might of been a large socket.

Be sure to pack lots of grease in there :)

Good luck.

--
Best regards,
 Julian                            mailto:jsolo at solo-tek.com