Concours 14, part 2

Ped pedmail at dbmail.dk
Sun Jul 22 14:52:49 PDT 2007

Well, it's actually possible to buy it here in DK at approximately your
price - but then it comes without the license plate and you can't ride
anywhere on it. This is typically done by people who are going to settle
in another country. They buy their vehicle here in DK without paying tax
and VAT because it is often cheaper, and then they take it to their new
country and pay whatever tax and/or VAT is required there. The tax and
VAT for vehicles here in DK is among the highest in the world,
approximately 230% for motorcycles.

If I purchase the bike without paying tax and VAT paid I can go to the
police and rent a temporary license plate for around 20 USD per day.
This plate allows me to take the bike between my home and the workshop
or any other location relevant to the bike. The tax authorities actually
send people out to check the parking lots at football games, musical
events, motorcycle rallys or any gathering in order to search for
temporary license plates. If you get nailed using the temporary license
plate for any non relevant purpose you will be required within 3 months
to pay the full tax and VAT plus a fine twice that amount... - which
would be around € 60.000 ($ 80.000)... =-O

Ped
'96 "Black Stealth" GPZ
Denmark