Crazy experience yesterday

Julian Solomensky jsolo at solo-tek.com
Wed Oct 24 08:08:01 PDT 2007

I think it's pretty rare for a rivet link to fail.  Many factors come into play I suppose.. Bad link, improper installation, poor peening, etc...

I recall when replacing the chains on the gpz, i'd check it before every ride for probably the first several K miles, to make sure the plates didn't move.  I also remember going through 4 or 5 rivet links and 1 or 2 tool pins before getting it peened just right.  The 2nd chain got installed correctly the first time :)

Very very lucky it happened at low speed with 0 damage to you/bike, or anyone else behind you!!

Makes me appreciate shaft drive even more now.