fork oil

Paul Heim SuprHtr at columbus.rr.com
Thu Feb 28 04:11:45 PST 2008

Lighter oil will make for a plush ride, but you may pogo some or wallow in
fast corners.  Heavier fork will, subjectively, be similar to stiffer
springs, with a more harsh but generally better controlled ride.  All things
can be overdone, so some experimentation with maybe one moderate change at a
time is advised.  Also note that Charles is running his "12.5" weight oil in
forks with Racetech cartridge emulators.

I installed the cartridge emulators, 10 weight oil, and 1.0 kg/mm springs
ALL AT ONCE and the change was too drastic.  At the time I weighed about 175
and it beat ther crap out of me on highway expansion joints.  I was on the
verge of going back to the stock springs and playing with preload when I met
my wife and started doing mostly 2-up riding.  I jacked the rear preload up
to max and the bike is now perfect for riding 2-up on twisty backroads.  If
I ride alone, it still rattles my bones.

Paul in Ohio