Bike "Totaled"

Jay Loeppke jloeppke at charter.net
Wed Oct 8 20:52:14 PDT 2008

Well ,totaled it probably is.  But it only had liability .   Still
rides and drives ok,  I was planning on giving it to him  anyway.  Now
he can hunt for parts if he wants to .   His  bike (which I gave him a
couple of years ago, we were just swapping for a month, he's 24), is
another cherry bike.  Its a flawless 85 Yamaha XJ700X (Maxim X), 12K
on it.  I guess I will get that one back and probably sell it.   I
also have another bike, custom built KLR650.     Your right Steve,
about the totaled vehicales.  I have lived with salvaged cars for the
last 20+yrs.  I would have them rebuilt for the most part, I would do
some small items, do the paper work put lots of miles on them then
sell them.  Our family puts on a ton of miles.  It has saved me
bundles. My KLR was the easiest by far though.  I just bought a frame
with a title (was wrecked but the owner still held the title) and
built this thing from the frame up with scavenged parts and
aftermarket parts.  Price was about the same as buying it whole (2001
frame with a 05 motor), but I had fun,  and learned alot.
I have located the right exhaust and engine case (stator side cover)
for him.  He found a used complete signal light, the plastic will take
time.  Needs a lower R and upper cowling.  Its still in one piece,
just looks like hell.