Surge

Ped pedmail at dbmail.dk
Sun Sep 21 00:08:40 PDT 2008

Hi Les,

No, it's not common to these bikes. They usually run clean regardless of
RPM. But they also run lean from factory so it doesn't take much to
disturb the smooth running of this wonderful engine.

Mine can surge under certain conditions: If the carb vent hoses are not
placed where they should be (behind the air box), riding in windy or
turbulent wind conditions - particularly in crosswind conditions - may
cause the engine to surge the way you describe. If you open the throttle
the pull all the way up will be clean. If you think the surge is
somewhat related to wind conditions I would recommend you look first at
the carb vent hoses and also check that the intake to the air box is
undisturbed. I think there is a good chance that your problem is related
to the vent hoses and that the fix is simple and effective.

I had exactly the same problem with the Suzuki GSX 750 ES I had before.
This however was in any wind condition, also in smooth air and it was
driving me crazy. I was almost on the edge of selling the bike when some
day I noticed that when I sat in the seat a gap would open between the
front end of the seat and the rear end of the tank - right on top of the
intake. On the next ride I tried to hold my hand over this gap - and the
surging was gone! Lesson learned: No turbulent air allowed in the intake
area. You could try to isolate potential troubled air by filling cloth
in gaps or taping them over.

Do you have stock exhaust? After market exhausts can do strange things
to engine characteristics. If your exhaust is other than stock I won't
start guessing on what might be wrong. It could be a million things.

Ped
'96 "Black Stealth" GPZ
Denmark