1400 Concours

Rob Schwartz coldinvt at gmavt.net
Sun Sep 28 19:36:07 PDT 2008

Connie vs. Sprint is very similar to my current setup.  FJR13 & VFR800.

Ergonomically, the current generation Sprint (1995+?) is nearly identical to
the VFR.  Both are great sportbikes with sporty touring capability.
Position is a bit forward, but comfortable.  If it were my only ride, I'd
want to get some risers for it as I found that a long trip on it is a pretty
long trip.  2up space is uncomfortable and very limited.  I imagine that
these points are similar for the Sprint.

I find the FJR to also have quite an appetite for tires, though I haven't
found my mileage (as stock, unmodified) to be as low as Julian mentions for
the C14.  I'm usually in the low 40's but a recent trip with the Missus on
her Rebel had me seeing >51mpg.  I was pretty psyched.  I don't expect a 650
pound 140hp GT bike to be particular easy on tires.  I'm interested to see
if the new MetzZ6 Interact would get me some extra mileage.  Got ~5100mi. on
the stock 'Stones and spooned on a set of "regular" (?) Z6s this summer...
Love 'em.  Anyway................

The FJR or C14 are going to be MUCH more touring oriented than the
VFR/Sprint.  They're big and they're heavy.  After riding the FJR, the
Interceptor feels positively small & nimble.  The big bikes are comfy
though, with much better protection from the elements and all the mod-cons
like heated grips, extra storage, etc.  There's plenty of 2up room and
luggage space (esp. with a tailtrunk... a bit much on a VFR/Sprint).

Did this answer your questions?  Of course not, but maybe it'll help your
buddy make a decision...

Cheers,
Rob in VT