New bike

Paul S. Elsberry pselsberry at comcast.net
Thu Oct 22 14:21:27 PDT 2009

Hey guys,

I am looking at getting a 2003 Suzuki DL1000 next week - I know that somebody on here made the switch also, any info.
I haven't test ridden one for very long but like thhe riding position and the torque of the engine, for te short ride that I took.
Handling was pretty good with the stock tires and could be made even better with some aftermarket pieces.
I am looking to have a decent sport-tourer that is also good for daily commuting, but lighter than the FJR, C-14 or the like, as I plan to add Givi's and to transfer some farkles from the GPZ.
Price and the ability to do most maintainence myself, had me looking used, and I looked at FZ-1, Multistrada (loved it but not the price), Tiger 1050, and the Bandit 1250 - but in the end the value and features of the V-Strom won out.
So next week it will be off to pick it up, with a 2hr ride home to get used to it
As for the GPZ, it has a crack in the swingarm and it looks like time to put her down.
I noticed last week that it was handling weird, and had a friend of mine try to help me with the suspension and that is when we found the crack and to be honest, I just can't see putting another band-aid on it.
I will probably part the bike out and will post any avail here first for any takers, then go the ebay route - so if anybody needs anything, chime up and I can tell you the condition and will post pics.
None of the body pieces are worth saving but most of the mechanicals are pretty good - the engine runs good, I have the ZZR1200 headers with the black Holeshot dual exhausts (sounds great), stock seat with the Sargeant cover and more.
Feel that I am making a good decision and will still remaini here on the list as I feel that this is a great place to get info.

Paul in MD