Need a new battery again!

LeBlanc, DanielJ Daniel.LeBlanc at bellaliant.ca
Thu Apr 25 04:05:44 PDT 2013

Hi All.

There was mention of topping up with acid.  I have always used water.  I was not aware of the impact of topping up with acid so thanks for the explanation Bill!  There have also been mentions of overcharging being responsible for the non-sealed battery requiring fluid top-up.  In my case, the GPZ has always had a sealed battery so there has been no requirements to even check the fluid level.  However, my 1986 Kawasaki Concours has an unsealed battery and it requires topping up twice per year.  It uses an identical charging system to the GPZ - alternator as opposed to generator.  I have had the alternator apart and effected a repair and tested - the charging voltage is within factory specifications.  Is this enough to overcharge an unsealed battery?  I would not expect so.  The factory manual indicates that checking and topping up the battery is part of the maintenance requirements.

My understanding of the difference between the sealed battery and an unsealed battery is that the sealed battery has a "recovery system" in place for any vapours that try to escape during the charging process.  This "recovery system" prevents the loss of fluid and therefore the requirement to top-up the battery.  An unsealed battery does not have this feature.

Is my experience different than the experience of others running unsealed batteries?  I have run into this on both my unsealed motorcycle batteries as well as my unsealed trailer batteries (deep cycle).  Topping up every 6 months is standard practice if you do not want to be replacing these batteries every 3 years instead of 6.

Thanks.

Daniel J. LeBlanc, P.Eng., MBA, DTME