Clutch replacement

Steve Clark clarks at nbnet.nb.ca
Sun Apr 28 13:29:02 PDT 2013

To be brief - in my Honda 600RR road race bike I have replaced 3 clutchs -
the origanal after the first race season (bike was 4 years old then).  The
second after 2 rounds useing full synthetic oil and the 3rd in two more
rounds on full synthetic oil.  With the thrid replacement I changed to Semi
synthetic oil (belray 10/40).  That was at the first of May 2011.  The bike
is ready for this season - still on the same EBC kevlar clutch with racing
springs.  New clutch in parts box just in case.

There is my experience with full synthetic oil and clutchs.  Another team
was having trouble with Amsoil full synthetic oil and their clutch.  They
switched to regular motorcycle oil with a new clutch and had no problems
afterwards.  It is like the full synthetic oil is just to slippery and the
clutch starts to slip as there is not enough friction.  When I measured my
slipping clutches they measured almost new for thickness so wear was not the
issue the oil was.

Steve