Intake Camshaft replacement

Jens Pedersen gpz1100abs at gmail.com
Wed Jun 14 23:05:02 PDT 2017

Hello Karl,

Unfortunately I cannot see the pictures you've uploaded (Forbidden. You
don't have permission to access
/pipermail/gpzlist/attachments/20170614/08f1f4cf/attachment.jpg on this
server.)

Cam pitting was a subject on this list many years ago. Some had it and some
didn't. Mine had (has) it. Already af the warrenty service (20.000 km) the
exhaust cam was replaced due to pitting. However, already at the next valve
adjustment just 10.000 km's later a couple of cams on the new camshaft
showed signs of pitting. It was discussed here on the list, but there was
no obvious conclusion. Some meant that the problem got worse if the driver
tended to ride at low RPM since there would be less oil in the top end.
Apparently Kawasaki did nothing to address the problem as replacement
camshafts had the same sparepart number. Remembering a certain Honda model
that also had a camshaft issue, many, including myself, were kind of
worried about the severity of the problem. Until one day a guy wrote that
his mechanic had told him to take it easy: "The pitting will reach a
certain stage, and then it won't get any worse". And this is exactly how it
has gone with mine. The pitting on each cam reaches a certain stage and
then remains that way. The status now is that all 8 exhaust cams are pitted
as well as 4 of the intake cams. The bike has now run 189.000 km (117.000
miles) and the pitting has been there for a long, long time. There is
nothing to hear when it's running, and it's running as smooth as ever. I do
use an expensive type of oil to try to not worsen the problem (Royal
Purple), but whether or not it actually makes any difference, I don't know.
But it makes me sleep better ;)

This site: http://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/ has camshafts and rocker
arms in stock, although the camshaft is not for the US model. But if
everything else fails, I guess a EU camshaft is better than no camshaft?
The rocker arm should be the same. Maybe you could find a US camshaft in
good working order in a wrecked GPZ?

The best of luck with the tune-up :)

Ped
'96 "Black Stealth" GPZ