Coils, Laam

William P. Zeller cherryriver at cherryriver.com
Sat Jun 17 08:15:43 PDT 2017

Man, it's getting hard to sift through the old-fashioned list type
chain.  Us more mature types struggle with all the sorting and aligning.

I do have a set of coils I picked off Ebay a couple of years ago when I
mistakenly thought mine had gone bad.  I believe I could part with them
if they got someone's bike back on the road.  But, perhaps a direct
e-mail might be easier for me to decode.

Some time back I acquired Tim's Laam seat from his
unfortunately-departed GPZ and applied it to mine.  I then went through
a period when the Wing got the space in the garage and the GPZ was
relegated to the Box and didn't see as much road time as is appropriate.
This spring, the Z is busy and the 18 sits, so I've gotten time on the
saddle, too.  Mostly moderate length here-to-there riding, only a couple
of days past 200 miles (320km).  My take so far, speaking just for
myself, is that I went back to my worn, hard, old Corbin.  The shape and
distinct pocket just suit me better.
Now, I have Heli MTS bars mounted and the riding position is more
upright than the ghastly stock position.  I have an old work-related
neck injury that prohibits me from getting a full-lean position and
staying more than about 45 minutes.
But I'm neither tall nor long-armed so I also have the bars set rearward
some.
Basically, the Corbin has been perfect for me in terms of position and
pocket shape.  I was interested to try the Laam and see if it was an
improvement, but it hasn't been, with one enormous exception.
The soft saddle padding doesn't suit me as well; perhaps after decades
of hard Corbins on my BMW R100, Concours, FJ1100, and Z, I'm simply
adapted to the type.
Another great thing about the Corbin is the well-designed taper at the
nose, which allows a relatively short-legged sort like myself
(30in/76cm) to manage the stops well.
The Laam cut has me too often forward of a good, padded and supported
spot and as a result, riding on the hard bones, hitting the pan.  If I
can stay slid back, it's pretty good.
It's not an overwhelming difference, though.  I just prefer the Corbin.
Now, for the exception: The Laam's passenger section is far better than
the Corbin's, longer front-to-back and properly supportive. Also, a bit
higher giving more legroom.
If  your passenger is at all long of limb, that helps.  In my case, the
Missus simply won't go on the Corbin, and while much prefers the Wing
("much" being a understatement), she will tolerate the Kawasaki for
short rides, given the Laam.
Not inconsequential.
Okay, everyone back to work.
And, Charles, I do need to get west one more time.  I doubt this year
holds hope but '18...  Now, if only the Centennial State can bring
itself to recognize my IL CCL.

Bill Zeller
Lemont, IL