20 years later - GPZ After Thoughts

masonjs at nrtco.net masonjs at nrtco.net
Sun Jun 18 07:50:49 PDT 2017

My GPz is 9 years gone.  It was a hell of a lot of fun and I got to go
a lot of places and meet a lot of nice people that I wouldn't have
without it.
 This wet cold spring has been a non motorcycle one so far.
I did manage to replace the ignition system in my 1970 Triumph.  Its
still the  "Get home before dark Lucas" .    I put in new coils,
condensers (capacitors), points, plug wires & plugs.  Replaced the
worn out Amal carburetor with a new Mikuni.  Might have gotten a
couple more horse power.   I don't get to massage the "tickler" any
more.  But also don't have the throttle slide stick open . Its a 20'
rider not a concourse bike.  I put in a new speedo drive.  I notice it
is made by Royal Enfield in India.  Most British bikes seemed to run
the same 400-18 rear wheels so they used the same drive and Smith
instruments.
A minute or so after opening the petcock, I gave it a couple of pushes
through with the kick start, set the choke, turned on the ignition
switch, and was amazed when it fired up 1/2 way through the first
kick.  It came down to a 900 rpm idle with both cylinders still firing
when I took the choke off.
I donned a helmet, jacket & gloves and took off up the driveway.  I
got it out on Rapid Road and twisted the throttle.  I missed the shift
to 2nd as I tried using my left foot .  I should not have worn
sneakers as the bottom of the brake pedal was not kind to the top of
my big toe.  I made several 7 km runs to the end of the road & back.
I had a large bug eating grin by the time I'd got a smooth shift to
3rd.
Is Longmire still on.  I miss it and Justified.