Turning 100

Ped gpz1100abs at gmail.com
Mon Nov 13 11:04:25 PST 2017

Hey Tim,

Sorry about the late feedback on this. Thanks for the tip about the fan.
I checked it out and it looked fine. You could also feel the airflow
from the side vents when it was running, so no issue there. I took the
thermostat out and checked it in hot water according to the manual, and
sure enough - it was the thermostat. It's supposed to open at 80 - 84
deg. C but it didn't begin to open until 92 deg C (1 mm open) and it
didn't open completely until 95 deg. C. No wonder she smelled hot. Got a
new one from motorcyclespareparts.eu and everything is back to normal :)

Ped
'96 "Black Stealth" GPZ
Denmark

Den 07-10-2017 kl. 18:01 skrev Timothy Linke:
> Ped,
>
> Your original fan could be warped, I put one of these on mine and never had
> any issues.
>
> http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/900019467
>
> On Sat, Oct 7, 2017 at 10:08 AM, Ped <gpz1100abs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I totally agree, Bill. What a bike. I've owned mine for 20 years now, and
>> next year I'll have to add the digit '2' in front of the others
>> (kilometres, of course). Just 4 days ago I returned home from this year's
>> longest trip - 2900 kilometres (1800 miles) in 5 countries over 10 days,
>> and not one single kilometre on motorways!
>>
>> http://www.pedmail.dk/efteraarstur.jpg
>>
>> I had a meeting in Belgium on Tuesday and Wednesday last week and a
>> motorcycle event in Austria Friday to Monday, and since I had the time to
>> do it, I decided to go the whole way without riding the 'Autobahn'. All of
>> the countries are very nice outside of the motorways, but especially the
>> trip from Leuven (Belgium) across the northern part of the Ardennes, across
>> the northern part of Luxembourg, across the Eifel area, over the Mosel and
>> the Rhein was a wonderful ride. Not to mention the Austrian Alps, of
>> course. Now it doesn't matter so much any more that winter is approaching,
>> and the GPZ will spend some months in the garage.
>>
>> There is a segment missing on the map - the segment from Vienna to
>> Hamburg. I cheated and took the Autozug (Auto train) instead. A good
>> choice, because the day the home trip started was the day that Autumn came
>> to Europe. Generous amounts of rain and storm on the way to Vienna, and the
>> same from Hamburg and the rest of the way the day after. Other than that I
>> had dry and warm late summer weather throughout the trip.
>>
>> I did notice on this trip though, that it tended to run a little bit
>> warmer than usual. Every time the traffic slowed down the temperature meter
>> would go up, and the fan would kick in and run for much longer than usual.
>> This is normal during summertime, but it doesn't normally do that in autumn
>> temperatures. It also smelled hot a little bit. At normal speed there were
>> no problems, and the temperature meter stayed where it's supposed to. I
>> checked the coolant level, which is okay. The radiator doesn't seem to be
>> clogged either. This weekend I will inspect the thermostat and hope to find
>> that that's the culprit. If it turns out to open normally at the right
>> temperature, any ideas as to where I should look next?
>>

>> Ped
>> '96 "Black Stealth" GPZ
>> Denmark
>>

>> Den 07-10-2017 kl. 16:07 skrev William P. Zeller:
>>
>>> A week or so ago, my ZX <https://www.facebook.com/phot
>>> o.php?fbid=912181732177275&set=a.181762335219222.46473.10
>>> 0001563719117&type=3>clock <https://www.facebook.com/phot
>>> o.php?fbid=1540136146048494&set=a.181762335219222.46473.10
>>> 0001563719117&type=3>turned past 100K miles (160K km). (photo <