Turning 100

William P. Zeller cherryriver at cherryriver.com
Sat Oct 7 07:07:02 PDT 2017

A week or so ago, my ZX
<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=912181732177275&set=a.181762335219222.46473.100001563719117&type=3>clock
<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1540136146048494&set=a.181762335219222.46473.100001563719117&type=3>turned
past 100K miles (160K km). (photo
<https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=912181732177275&set=a.181762335219222.46473.100001563719117&type=3>
from '15)

One of the disappointing things (!) is that Kawasaki neglected to
include the sixth digit so now my bike appears to be nearly new, with
only 430 miles (692km) on it.  I suppose at some point I'll be compelled
to open up the speedo case and paint a numeral "1" on the face.

It so happened I was able to visit MCC Motorcycle Center in Villa Park,
IL yesterday on my errands.  It's a very large Ducati-Triumph dealership
that's been around forever but just built up this new location.  There
were so many Bonnevilles on the floor I could hardly count them all, and
the rows of Ducatis were downright intimidating.

In conversation with the salesman, I had the opportunity to recall my
ZX's service history over the sixteen years I've owned it.  (For
reference, it was a "crate bike" sold new in March, 2000 to a guy in
Downers Grove, IL, from whom I bought it in August, 2001 with 2230 miles
(3600km) on it- he couldn't stand the ergonomics, specifically the
ridiculous handlebars.  The price was $4400).

Basically, I've changed the battery twice, the OEM having gone some nine
years at least, and the chain once, at 48,000 miles (77,250km).  It's
still, heaven help me, on the second chain.

I replaced the okay-condition rear shock with one off a crash bike
obtained from a lister here in order to get a shock with 20,000 fewer
miles.  I am on the third headlight bulb and replaced on taillight bulb,
although all have been since replaced with LED types.

The steering head bearings have been replaced twice, most recently about
two years ago when the bike was rescued from a post-divorce storage
situation that was none too favorable.

That's it for service.  I know I've never owned another bike so reliable
and trouble-free.  Even my GL1800, which has a few more thousand miles
on the clock owing to its considerable service in two-up travels, has
been a little more demanding.

Back in August '00, I was thinking the ZX was a holding bike til I got
replacement for my traded-off Concours, but such turned out not to be
the case.

Nowadays I have to confess to thinking about getting another bike for
the ZX's uses, because, after all, it can't last forever, and besides,
there have been one or two technological advances in the last 21 years
(modern suspension, anyone?) and I have to confess to giving thought to
the Honda DCT automatic transmission as the arthritis of my many years
of being a carpenter makes clutching sometimes unpleasant.

But still... nothing seems as comfortable or as suited to as many
purposes as this thing and it still goes along pretty well.  Given the
mods making it more to my liking, full Givis, Heli handlebars, and
dozens of little touches, how could a new bike really replace it?

And, cost so little over time?

What a bike.

Bill Zeller
Lemont, IL

P.S.- I still have the valve shim kit here, although Art Johnson
requested a half-dozen.  The kit is low on 2.30 and 2.40 but otherwise
intact.