Turning 100

Ped gpz1100abs at gmail.com
Sat Oct 7 08:08:34 PDT 2017

I totally agree, Bill. What a bike. I've owned mine for 20 years now,
and next year I'll have to add the digit '2' in front of the others
(kilometres, of course). Just 4 days ago I returned home from this
year's longest trip - 2900 kilometres (1800 miles) in 5 countries over
10 days, and not one single kilometre on motorways!

http://www.pedmail.dk/efteraarstur.jpg

I had a meeting in Belgium on Tuesday and Wednesday last week and a
motorcycle event in Austria Friday to Monday, and since I had the time
to do it, I decided to go the whole way without riding the 'Autobahn'.
All of the countries are very nice outside of the motorways, but
especially the trip from Leuven (Belgium) across the northern part of
the Ardennes, across the northern part of Luxembourg, across the Eifel
area, over the Mosel and the Rhein was a wonderful ride. Not to mention
the Austrian Alps, of course. Now it doesn't matter so much any more
that winter is approaching, and the GPZ will spend some months in the
garage.

There is a segment missing on the map - the segment from Vienna to
Hamburg. I cheated and took the Autozug (Auto train) instead. A good
choice, because the day the home trip started was the day that Autumn
came to Europe. Generous amounts of rain and storm on the way to Vienna,
and the same from Hamburg and the rest of the way the day after. Other
than that I had dry and warm late summer weather throughout the trip.

I did notice on this trip though, that it tended to run a little bit
warmer than usual. Every time the traffic slowed down the temperature
meter would go up, and the fan would kick in and run for much longer
than usual. This is normal during summertime, but it doesn't normally do
that in autumn temperatures. It also smelled hot a little bit. At normal
speed there were no problems, and the temperature meter stayed where
it's supposed to. I checked the coolant level, which is okay. The
radiator doesn't seem to be clogged either. This weekend I will inspect
the thermostat and hope to find that that's the culprit. If it turns out
to open normally at the right temperature, any ideas as to where I
should look next?

Ped
'96 "Black Stealth" GPZ
Denmark