Temperature guage readings vs. operating temperature

William K Denton wkdenton at verizon.net
Mon Apr 23 10:28:53 PDT 2018

I’ve always been a bit flummoxed by the (low) temperature gauge readings on
my ’96  GPz1100. Whenever I’m riding at highway speeds and the ambient
temperature is less than ~90ºF (~32ºC), my temp gauge indicates that the
coolant temperature is oscillating between the “cold” and just above the
cold range as the thermostat opens and then closes repeatedly. Contrast that
gauge reading with every other liquid cooled vehicle that I’ve ever owned,
both two and four wheeled varieties, where full operating temperature is
usually indicated by a “centered” needle position similar to the three
bears’ porridge, i.e. not too cold not too hot.

In my mind, these comparative observation beg the following questions:

1)      What was Kawasaki’s normal operating design temperature for the
ZX1100-E1 and E2?

2)      What is the actual operating temperature when the temperature gauge
reads just above “cold” range as mine does when riding in cool weather
conditions?

3)      How do #1 and #2 above correlate, and

4)      Is the temp gauge reading caused by an improper manufacturing
specification for the selected gauge, or is it actually an operating
temperature problem, perhaps caused by improper mfg. specification for the
thermostat?

Perspiring minds want to know
. ;<D

Bill in Yardley, PA