[BaseCamp] waypoint naming rights

Steve Bracken twigg2324 at gmail.com
Mon May 18 08:07:51 PDT 2015

BaseCamp has only one database, so if you rename a waypoint it gets the new
name everywhere.

To do what you want to do you will have to create 2 waypoints in the same
place, and name them individually.

The duplicates you created may have been given slightly different names. If
not, you have to do it manually.

On Mon, May 18, 2015 at 8:23 AM, saddle sore <ironbutter at gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, I'm gettiing wrapped around the axle on this exercise.  See if you can
> help untangle me.
>
> I have all the Tour of Honor sites loaded.  I created a Saddle Sore route.
> I figured where my gas stops would be and created waypoints for those.
> Checked everything on Google Earth Pro.  So now I want to rename the
> waypoints SPECIFICALLY to this route, and do not want to mess up the
> original names or point locations.  So I created a new List and moved the
> route to that List.  The only thing I want in this List is things related
> to this route.  When I copied the route to the List, it also copied the
> waypoints.  So I selected everything and opted for Duplicate.   So as to
> not mess up the original names and locations, I selected each original and
> clicked on Remove From List.  This left me with the duplicate waypoints and
> route.  Everything has the original name followed by the number 1, proving
> it is a duplicate. Good so far.
>
> Now I want to rename the waypoints so that I can name them chronologically
> for this ride, starting with my first gas receipt as 001-Name, then the
> next stop would be my first TOH site so it would be 002-name, etc.....
> This way I can load the entire route into my GPS as well as load in all the
> waypoints -- giving me flexibility to travel by the route or travel by
> point to point.  Still with me?
>
> OK, so I open the duplicate named TOH site, rename it, and close the
> properties box.  I do this for a few more waypoints before I realize that
> the changed name is sitting in the data box on the BC screen like it
> should, but when I open the route properties box the original name is
> there.  So I flip back over to the original List where all the TOH sites
> are located and I see the site name has changed there!!   Noooooo, I want
> the original List to remain unchanged and I want all the changes to be
> happening in the new List where I have all of the duplicated sites.
>
> Any ideas why I can't get the duplicated waypoint to have a changed name
> and have that changed name show up in the duplicated route properties
> box??  The changed name is showing up in the data box on the BC screen but
> it won't transfer into the route properties box   I always thought this is
> exactly what the duplicating process of waypoints was for - so the
> originals would remain as original and the changes could be done using the
> duplicates.  Thus when I am done with this ride, I can delete the
> duplicates and still have the originals left in the original List.
> Unfortunately, it is not working out that way.
>
> Any help/insight would be appreciated,
> Joe Y
> western PA

Steve Bracken