[BaseCamp] Can I Copy/Paste Route "Properties" ?

Greg Horodeck greghoro at gmail.com
Thu Feb 11 14:25:05 PST 2016

All routes will show Arrival times for each waypoint in the route Properties
tab. If the arrival time is not underlined, it means it is calculated. If it
is underlined, it means the user has explicitly assigned an arrival time.
Departure times are not normally displayed, except for the starting waypoint
but are displayed when one has been explicitly assigned to the waypoint.
This is for Windows, assume Mac does the same.

Caution, by explicitly checking the Arrival or Departure box for a waypoint,
you are now freezing the arrival and/or departure time for that waypoint.
Any recalculation or manipulation of the route will not cause the arrival
and/or departure time to be recalculated for that waypoint. You are
overriding the calculation for that waypoint and are impacting other
waypoints, as well.

Freezing an arrival time for a waypoint will impact all preceding waypoints
calculated departure time. Freezing a departure time for a waypoint will
impact all subsequent calculated waypoints arrival time. There may be
exceptions I am not aware of. Note, you will be warned (red font along with
calculated value) if it determines that your explicit arrival time is too
soon to be possible. However, it won't warn you if a following waypoint now
has a lot of slack built in to arrive by the explicitly assigned arrival
time. Play around, it's the only way you will really learn how explicit
arrival and departure times works.

I'm guessing that the designers were expecting the export/import function to
be primarily used for sharing information. They needed a way to denote when
a waypoint's arrival and departure information was calculated or when it was
explicitly assigned by the user. The easy way was to only export a data
value when it was explicit and leave it blank it when it was calculated.
When importing, the program would look at the arrival and departure field
values; if blank, would allow the waypoint to be calculated and if
non-blank, would use the value to specify the arrival or departure time.
Again, just a hypothesis on my part, I didn't write the program.

Greg