[BaseCamp] track to route to turn-by-turn

saddle sore ironbutter at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 16:38:50 PST 2017

Hi

Solving the Google Earth viewing problem has moved me far along in my
project.  My deepest appreciation to you all for helping me solve that
error.  THANK YOU!

I was provided a track for a possible ride down in WV.  (Never messed with
tracks before).  I imported it to BC, then right clicked and created a
route from the track.  There are no waypoints other than start and finish
when you open the route and view the Properties tab.  There are excellent,
very detailed turn by turn directions provided in the Route Directions tab
though.

Some of the turn by turn directions include statements like "Leave road".
This occurs multiple times, often one right after the other.  Now that I
can view the route through Google Earth, it is pretty obvious that the
original GPS, while traveling, must have lost satellite signal in track
mode.  The route follows the road on GE while the track is straight lines
between track points, missing quite a few of the turns and bridges, jumping
down into the creek  (I know the original rider did not jump down into the
creek).  But the route on GE follows the road perfectly, even though the
turn by turn directions read "Leave road".

Question 1:  Since the route follows the road, I would like to eliminate
from the turn by turn directions those statements "Leave road" as those
will only cause confusion for other riders reading the directions.  Can
these be deleted?

I tried just highlighting them in the turn by turn directions and hitting
delete, but nothing happens.  When highlighting them in the directions,
they appear on the map as a circle.   So then I right clicked on those
circles on the map and selected Remove Shaping Point, but again nothing
happened.  Delete has not effect either.  How can they be deleted, if at
all?

Question 2:  When I follow the route that was made from the track on my
Garmin device (a 478 in my case) will Ms. Garmin's voice be heard just as
if I had made a route in normal fashion (rather than from a track)?  Or
does the fact that this route was made by converting a track to a route end
up muting the voice?  I'd hate to have her constantly repeating "Leave
Road, Recalculating, Leave Road" as I travel on down the road.  She can be
annoying when she thinks she is correct.

It's my first experiment with tracks so I appreciate your guidance and
patience.

Thanks,  Joe