[BaseCamp] Way Point limitations Question

DENNIS O'DELL denniscodell at icloud.com
Wed Jul 19 09:34:35 PDT 2017

Hi Folks,
I am sure this has been covered before, but I do not seem to find anything.

The question is regarding the number of way points allowed in a route. A friend created several routes for a trip we have recently taken. Each route is an average of 225 kilometers. He seems to really like the nice little default blue flag icon that Garmin uses for way points, so he has inserted 40 to 50 way points in each route. I asked why, but did not get a sensible answer.

When I imported his routes into Base Camp (version 4.2.4) all is good.

When I upload them to my BMW Navigator V (software version 3.40) I get a message that there is a limit of 29 way points per route and that the route has been split into two routes. The routes then show up as "Route ABC 1", "Route ABC 2”, “Route XYZ 1”, “Route XYZ 2” and so forth for each route.

Each route calculates as expected when I load the route on the GPS for viewing/navigation. However, the fun comes when you reach the last way point in the active route. There isn’t any warning that I noticed telling me I’m at the end of the route. Therefore, I did not know when to switch from Route ABC 1 to Route ABC 2. This caused much confusion for me. It seems that I would get an "Off Route Recalculate?” message. I have Recalculate set to Manual, and so I would hit Yes. It seems that since I was now past the last way point in the route the recalculation would want to route me back to the last way point in the route. After awhile I figured this out and switched to the second portion of the route (Route ABC 2). Then, depending on how far past the first way point in the new route, the route picked up nicely or may not pick up so nicely if I was too far past the first way point. When it did not play nice I would get the "Off Route Recalculate?” message again, hit Yes and would be turned around again (which I learned to ignore pretty quickly).

I have not had this problem with routes I create myself, but I always hold the number of way points to under 29.

My friend’s very old Garmin Zimo (sorry, I don’t have the specs for it) did not encounter the 29 way point limit.

We are both using Map Version "City Navigator Europe NTU 2018.1"

I had considered deleting many of the way points to bring the number down to under 29, but that is a real PITA, plus I was concerned it may change the routing.

If anyone can put some light on this to make life easier I would be greatly appreciative.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards,

Dennis C. O'Dell
Hochstrasse 19
90429 Nürnberg
Germany
denniscodell at icloud.com
Mobile: +49 175 855 6663
Home: +49 911 277 45370
Skype: diggertfu
Blog: http://www.diggersmotorradadventures.com/

"If we don't change direction soon, we'll end up where we're going."
- Professor Irwin Corey