[BaseCamp] trackpoints to waypoints, plus POIs

saddle sore ironbutter at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 09:38:52 PST 2018

Hi

I was trying to help a guy on another forum understand BaseCamp.  He wanted
to convert BDR tracks to routes and add in their POIs (campgrounds, gas
stations, restaurants, etc...)  I walked him through GPSBabel and converted
all the original trackpoints to waypoints.  Good so far.  Since the BDR
guys didn't have any of their POIs actually part of their tracks, the POIs
had to be selected separately and moved into a BC List with all the
waypoints.  Still all good.   Then there was an attempt to add few POIs to
the route.  Now, mind you, the trackpoints were converted to waypoints and
the track was converted to a route.  So when you open the properties box,
the waypoints appear just like in any other route.  And on the map, the
route follows the roads, exactly.

So, what was the result of adding a few POIs into the route using the green
"plus" sign in the properties box?  Disaster.  While all of the converted
waypoints are connected by roads, the added in POIs are connected by
straight lines.

However, if I just went in and created a new route in BC of the POIs and
some of the trackpoints now converted to waypoints, that route followed the
roads perfectly.

Any thoughts as to why adding POIs to a route does not follow roads, but
creating a route from POIs does?  I'm confused.

Thanks, Joe Y
western PA

Virus-free.
www.avg.com