[BaseCamp] New Garmin stuff: Zumo XT, Explore app, Drive app

Jerry White jerrywhite518 at gmail.com
Wed May 5 09:27:32 PDT 2021

I'm thinking about a Zumo XT. It appears it uses a newer generation of
helper apps. Has anyone used Explore for creating routes? How does it stack
up to Basecamp? Obviously different, this isn't Windows or MacOS software,
it's an app. Everything's a G.D. "app" now (imagine Dr. Evil air quotes.)

Conversely, is anyone connecting their XT to Basecamp for route transfer?
Feedback?

My Zumo 396 uses the Smartphone Link app for traffic and weather. Last
weekend I tried to use that app, it was unable to figure out where I was,
rendering the app worthless. Now they have replaced Smartphone Link with
Drive if you're using an XT, but still stuck on Smartphone Link on a 396.
Any reviews of Drive? How is the traffic and weather data?

Jerry