Navigation systems banned in Switzerland?

Ped pedmail at dbmail.dk
Tue Jan 23 12:49:25 PST 2007

George,

Can you elaborate on this:

http://www.astra.admin.ch/dokumentation/00109/00113/00491/index.html?lang=de&msg-id=10094

As I read it (German is not my best :-) ) navigation systems that are
capable of warning against speed traps are banned in Switzerland and may
be confiscated by the authorities if found, destroyed and the owner
heavily fined. Now, I don't know a lot about navigation systems (I use
the simple but effective http://nav4all.com/ on my cell phone) but from
what I've heard most systems can warn against stationary speed traps and
some systems can warn against police operated (movable) speed traps if
connected to a cell phone sms based service.

What is going to happen if you are pulled over by customs or a patrol
car and they spot your TomTom or Garmin or whatever? Will they take it
into their possession trying to establish whether it's braking the
rules, or? What navigation systems can be used in CH without the risk of
becoming a criminal?

I have to admit I took a look in the calendar, but no - it's not the 1st
of April yet... :-)

Ped
'96 "Black Stealth" GPZ
Denmark