Tank Vent follow-up

Larry Zoia phezanthawk at wowway.com
Sun Jul 8 16:34:06 PDT 2007

> I'm not convinced that boring out the inlet and outlet of the filter you
> are
> using will significantly reduce the pressure drop you are experiencing
> across the filter.  I believe that it is the filter media itself that is
> the
> culprit.

Either way, the filter is bad ju-ju no matter what the
exact mechanism of obstruction of flow.

> Anyway, I bet if you switched the filter to a different model or even just
> new one you'll have better flow.

This one is new, but yes, I agree as I have had other
GPZ's in the past and had not encountered this problem.

>>  Your vodka bottle test is innovative, what I
> call the bucket and stopwatch method for determining flow rate.

I find many uses for empty plastic pint bottles of vodka.
I use them to measure oil for two-stroke fuel mixing,  They can be used as
armor and banded together to
make floatation devices.  I have even used them
to protect items in boxes I'm shipping.  The plastic bottle is indeed a
boon....AND it comes filled with vodka.  What a country!

(And I'm a
> pro, I test leak rates of primary containment isolation valves at nuclear
> power plants, in accordance with 10 CFR 50 Appendix J. see

Something like Homer Simpson's job?

> So you have identified one probable cause:  the filter may not flow
> enough.

I'm convinced this is the cause.  I've spliced the fuel line back together
and will test it out.  This bike was run
about 40k without a filter, and I installed the filter upon
buying the bike and cleaning and rebuilding the carbs.

The vacuum hose is patent, I'm sure.  I will, however my test ride works
out, pull the petcock and at least inspect and probably rebuild it.

Uh-oh.  I just remembered that I did the vodka bottle
test with the gas cap open so that I could test one thing at a time.

I guess a non-measured gross test could be done with
the gas cap closed to see if the whole tank readily drains.....but I think
the cap is okay....unless it's not.

larry in Michigan