headlight rewiring with relay

schnowz schnowz at localnet.com
Thu Mar 13 17:09:50 PDT 2008

  Bill, I added a relay,  but not to make the headlight brighter. I was too
lazy to do it right and simply used the headlight wire coming out of the
junction box as a signal (coil) wire for the new relay and then hooked the
contact side from the battery downstream in the wiring harness. This does
not take the load off the dimmer switch but it takes the load off the
ignition switch and the brown connector under the tank which are the weakest
points in the GPZ electrical system.

B) As Julian said one of the existing headlight relays is so you don't draw
current from the battery for the headlight while cranking, so as to give the
starter the extra umphh. Older bikes simply did this with extra contacts in
the starter switch itself.
  You're right about the misprint - the main schematic shows it as a
ignition fuse, which feeds the igniter among other things.

  Pete Staniforth