Carb Cleaning

Charles Scappaticci scapco at ecentral.com
Wed Mar 10 08:05:13 PST 2010

Pete,

See my opinions on the subject below.  Hope they help a little and I'm
sure someone will chime in.

1. Don't worry about any plastic parts, they were designed to handle
gas immersion.
2. I use Gunk carb cleaner, but any brand should work.  Same as above,
the cleaner shouldn't hurt it.
3. I think there is a spring in the starter circuit IIRC, on the end
of the cable but I never had mine apart.  Two kinds of starter
circuit, enrichening circuit and choke.  How they work is very
different.
4. Yes, the intake boots stay attached.  I just had one replaced that
was leaking air, it made a noticeable difference on how the bike
starts and idles.
5. While I would normally reuse those rubber o-rings, if you could
replace them it wouldn't hurt, especially if they are hard.  I'd bet
you could match them up at a car parts store.
6. Only trick is to use lots of compressed air after soaking the carb
bodies for a few days.  I've used strands of copper wire to clean out
the pilot jets, but they are fairly cheap and I would replace them if
possible.  If you know anyone with an ultrasonic cleaner those work
well.

Good luck!

Charles S.