Western Canadian Rain Festival - A LONG Trip Report

M & J Mason masonjs at nrtco.net
Thu Jul 5 07:30:40 PDT 2012

Sounds like you had a great trip.  I lived in BC in the early 1970's.  Never
made it to Stewart.  The first time I had to deliver a load of books but was
stopped at Terrace as the Deese Lake highway was washed out and an old
Hudson Bay Company Cube van was not up to the task.  I continued on to
Prince Rupert (The Halibut Capital of the World) and sent the books by ship.
The 2nd time I was to start a job there but 3 days before I was to go I got
an acceptance letter from the University of BC so I decided to go back to
school.
$300.00 for a tire and installation you must have had a sore butt after
that.  If you're going to need tire work next time try to be in Beckley WV.
I had my own tire but they removed the wheel, installed and balanced the new
tire , replaced the wheel for $26.50 US$ and a couple of Cuban cigars which
was bargain.  I had to retension the chain as the gorilla at the Kawi dealer
with his matched pair of 14" adjustable metric wrenches had it like a guitar
string.
If you didn't like the price of a single at the Holiday Inn Express in
Calgary then don't try the Comfort Inn in Truro Nova Scotia.  It was $167.00
+ tax of 15% for a total of $192.05.  The next night I stayed in the Bates
Motel in Gorham NH for $45.00 for a double.  Mind you I did have to use my
Leatherman tool to turn the shower taps off and on.

Jim