Romania Ride

schnowz schnowz at att.net
Mon Jul 23 15:37:36 PDT 2012

Ped - I didn't have acess to a computer so I didn't bother with a blog..but the cheap beer might also have played some part...
It is a great country in my opinion.
Heres a quick blurb.
I haven't posted any pics online but if anyone wants some E Mailed let me know
Pete S

Coming down the Transfaragan my Rear brakes faded on the way down. I’ve never had that happened before on a bike (only on a car). I had just passed a car and was braking for the next hairpin. BMW engineering for you.
It was a F650GS. When I first got on it the frame felt like rubber, but once I got into tractor mode, I liked it. Ideal for the variable roads there. However it did nothing to change my opinion on the unreliability of German Engineering. I had the ABS and speedo crap out . The idle was screwed up, either stall or stick at 2500 rpm. The turn signals didn’t always cancel. Etc etc. It had great gas mileage though 75mpg and was good for any road surface, and with a low seat height and gas tank below the seat, gave it a low center of gravity. If I could get a reliable one I’d get one. I think maybe my next bike will be a dual purpose though.
  I rented for a couple of days and did my own ride and then joined a small Tour group. 2 Brits and 2 Germans and the Romanian tour leader. He knew all the best roads and the ride was one of the best I’ve done. We also had 4 Turkish guys join us one day.
A whole different riding mode to here. (USA) They’d probably get shot here. Once you get in combat mode it was great. Everyone passes in town and if there is a space someone will fill it. They don’t get in your way though, as at the next opportunity they will pass again. I think the pedestrian crossings there, were designed to kill the maximum number of pedestrians.
Great scenery, culture, and people. The scenery and poverty varied though, from looking like the Mid west in the Danube Delta, to Vermont and Switzerland in the Mountains. The kids near the Ukrainian border don’t see many bikes and would wave as we passed by. At one point we were stopped and they gathered around the bikes to take pics. They still have haystacks and there are many horse and carts. You get the feeling that if the electric grid went out in some cyber war everything would continue as normal in the countryside.
  The beer and food were cheap and the girls - well go see for yourself. I still don’t understand how they look so nice in cities, but the 80 year old babushkas in the villages are 4 ft high and 4 ft wide.----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1