GPZList Digest, Vol 77, Issue 5

Philip Hamm philbike20 at hotmail.com
Wed Apr 24 14:05:32 PDT 2013

> Message: 6
> Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 20:40:01 +0200
> From: Ped <pedmail at dbmail.dk>
> Subject: Re: Need a new battery again!
> To: gpzlist at micapeak.com
>
> Speaking of overcharging this was my problem several years ago. I wasn't
> really aware of it in the beginning because the first time the battery
> boiled up and died it was 4 years old and I blamed myself for not having
> maintained it properly during winter. The second battery died on me just
> 2 years later, but it was a low quality, no name battery so I still
> didn't suspect any electrical fault. When the third battery (a Yuasa)
> started smelling on a trip I finally measured the charge voltage and
> found it to be over 18v. No wonder the battery was cooking. There is an
> easy fix though. There are three wires from the generator and one of
> them (the brown wire) 'sniffs' the voltage in the wiring harness. If
> this is low for whatever reason the generator is directed to increase
> its output (this is how I was told it works - I am by no means an auto
> electrics expert...). By cutting the brown wire and connecting it to the
> battery (+) through a breaker it will always 'sense' adequate voltage
> and the generator will charge accordingly. This was supposed to be a
> temporary fix, but I never found the reason for the overcharge.
> Everything electrical on the bike has always worked as it should and I
> didn't even blow any bulbs despite the serious overcharge. This
> 'temporary fix' is now going into its 7th season, so it will probably
> turn into a permanent fix... ;)
>
> I mentioned this on out list back in 2006 but I don't recall any others
> ever mentioning anything about having an overcharge problem. But if
> anyone does have this I can recommend the fix. Just let me know if a
> more detailed description is required.
>
> Ped
> '96 "Black Stealth" GPZ
> Denmark

Is it just me or does this sound like a bad voltage regulator or rectifier is the problem?
I have a new Deka battery sitting in a shelf ready to install.  The previous battery is doing just fine, but it's 6+ years old.  Even with a battery tender and always being indoors I don't trust it for a long trip.
-Phil Hamm