My pipe exploded..

masonjs at nrtco.net masonjs at nrtco.net
Wed Jun 18 11:38:36 PDT 2014

You didn't by chance turn your kill switch off whole the bike was
running and moving and then turn it back on.   This was a trick with
the English bikes we rode in my yoot.
With the kill switch activated and the motor being rotated by inertia
you could load up both mufflers with a gas/air mixture.  When you
released the kill switch the hot exhaust gases from the fired
cylinders would ignite the fuel mixture in the pipes and mufflers
producing a couple of blasts a little better than  that of a 12 gauge
shotgun.  There were also a couple of nice 5 - 6 foot flames that shot
out the back.  This could also be done with a car with a standard
transmission or an old 2 speed automatic.  I never saw this bother a
motorcycle exhaust but I saw quite a few cars that lost the exhaust
system from the muffler back and/or the muffler would be split wide
open.
Small town Saturday night.

Jim