Fairing song

Dave King oldfr8dog at yahoo.com
Tue May 6 08:38:25 PDT 2014

Alexander,

I can't write with your gift of prose but I can relate to your bad luck. On a sunny and beautiful day in East Tennessee I had been been out riding the mountain roads, including the legendary "Tail of the Dragon", thoroughly enjoying myself. I got home and was just pulling to a stop when my cell phone in my pocket started ringing. I stopped and retrieved my phone from my jacket and spent the next 10 minutes on the call whilst sitting astride my beautiful black GPz. After finishing the call I replaced my phone into my pocket, got off my bike and walked away. I had gotten about 3 or four steps away when I heard that sickening sound of my beloved bike crashing onto its side. I had neglected to extend the side stand. I'm a pilot and this is equivalent to landing with the gear up. Just plain stupid.

The fairing on the left side got cracked in the garage drop. I removed the damaged fairing and searched unsuccessfully for a replacement so I ended up repairing it by building up a large scab patch on the inside surface with JB Weld for plastic and using a thin skim of fiberglass resin on the outside surface to fill the crack. I never really liked the GPz graphics on the lower cowl so I removed them and had a fresh coat of black paint sprayed on the fairing. It looked great and the repair has held up for the last 6 years and at least one subsequent drop by my buddy that I sold the bike to.

Just thought I'd share my story and hope that you too can get your bike back on the road soon.

Be safe, Dave.

Sent from my iPad