More on the valve adjustment

William P. Zeller bill at cherryriver.com
Mon Aug 3 08:07:19 PDT 2015

To clarify about my cam lobes' condition that I observed during the
valve adjustment: it's not pitting or cracking, but rather, wide,
tapering "smears" of wear where the rocker pad bears on the cam. Not
quite enough to get through any surface hardening, but enough to make me
think the cams won't make it to 200K miles (322km).
I'll link a picture or two eventually.
Meanwhile, the bike's been back in routine service, getting lots of
Interstate miles going places: there's about 500 miles (800km) gone
since the work-over, mostly 75mph (120kph) cruising in hot weather on
our crowded Chicago-area tollways, with good running and about 45mpg to
show.
The only issue is little drooling from the main crank sump drain plug.
After forty oil changes, the threads in the sump don't feel so solid and
I'm reluctant to torque down any further.  Close to zero oil consumption
over this stretch, though.
We were out an about the other lovely summer evening on it and I had to
wonder: what staggering amount of work would it take to bring a
replacement bike up to spec, considering all of the upgrades and
personal touches I've piled on over the fourteen years I've had it.
The Heli Multi-Tour Sport handlebars with the home-made mount is just a
beginning. The completely rebuilt Givi mounts (made with heavy 1/4"
(6mm) steel brackets) would be second.  The electrical changes: I have
the old Electrical Connection LED rear lighting conversion installed
long ago; I don't think that's even available anymore.
Well, I guess I'd have to rise to that challenge should the day come.
Bill Zeller