1920! A Dodge in an Oil Field

masonjs at nrtco.net masonjs at nrtco.net
Sat Jan 10 08:21:15 PST 2015

Old Dodges.
 I learned to drive on a 1939 Dodge 1/2 ton "Market Gardeners Special"
 with an "F" head 6 and 3 on the floor.  It was 20 years old and I was
12.  Later I bought a 1954 Fargo 1/2 pickup.  The drive train was the
same as the '39 Dodge.  Apparently the Cubans are still driving some
of these that are working on their 2nd million miles.
They were a simple thing to work on other than changing tires.  I did
find out this while trying to change a flat one day beside the road.
The lug nuts on one side of the truck had left hand thread to prevent
them from spinning loose while you were driving.  Some old farmer
stopped and told a couple of profusely sweating teenagers.  "You boys
might wanta try turnin' then nuts the other way".  he was right.
Hell the rust had them on damn near as tight as if they were welded.
This trying to escape this -30C (-22F) weather and go to Florida has
been delayed 2 days .  First it was the failure of the flame sensor
thermo couple on my gas furnace and now I'm waiting on a new pressure
regulator.

Jim