Alaska 2014 - Part 1

masonjs at nrtco.net masonjs at nrtco.net
Fri Jun 12 07:22:41 PDT 2015

Nice write up Charles.
 Maybe you could get the old serial movies back.  The ones we (well
some of us BBTV -born before TV) watched at the local theater Saturday
afternoon matinées.  These always ended having the hero in some
desperate predicament like careening off a cliff in a flaming Ford
just to leave you wondering how he managed to escape and left you an
entire week to worry about it. Now they had you sucked in and got
another 15 cents out of you the following Saturday.
 I liked how you ended chapter 1, being trapped in a hotel room in
Banff Alberta with 2 hill billies from Mogollon New Mexico.

I took my 1970 Triumph in to Don Price.  I'd replaced the plugs and
cleaned the carb but it still won't idle on both cylinders.  Around
2500 rpm the 2nd cylinder kicks in and the bike has a nice rush and
soothing rumble .  I'll let Donny sort it out.  He doesn't look like
your typical mechanic.  He looks like a gnome.  He's about 5 foot
nothing with a gray & black curly goatee.  If you put a pointy hat on
him he'd be the evil twin for the Tavelocity gnome.  His shop is clean
and orderly, the bikes he's working on are spotless.  There was a nice
1956 Ariel 500 single Red Hunter awaiting cables and a 1950 Triumph
speed twin rolling chassis with a newly painted frame and the the
lower 1/2 of the engine awaiting the side covers and cylinder barrels
that were out being bored.
The first thing he asked was whether the bike was for sale.  He wanted
to know as he said he'll be asked that by 95% of the guys coming in
the shop.

Jim