11-11-11

Randolph Peters arpee44 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 20 00:58:54 PST 2017

Still a lurker on the list and still riding, still appreciate the contributions of whatever kind of listers. Since parting with my Gpz more than 12 years ago, I have joined lists related to my subsequent bikes: ZZR 1200 (2, one drowned in Katrina and one that replaced it after.), then a Ninja 1000 (stolen in May this year) and a Connie 14 that has replaced it. But the content of most of the contributors of these lists have more to do about farkles, mods, etc than about the "practice" of motorcycling if I can use that word.And so I look forward to the sporadic pings from this list: travelogues, repairs, evaluations, etc. that connect me to why I continue two wheeling.Brief notes to add to the evals submitted.I still have fond memories of the Gpz being the "sweetest" bike I have owned: the smoothness and vastness of power the ergonomic comfort. But Oh Lord! Those rubber boots to be reconnected between the airbox and the carbs!! I still have nightmares.The ZZR is a dressed hooligan, power that is angry and snarling, (the first one I got came with Muzzi pipes) stable and scary at the same time. And the rubber boots are just shoved into the airbox  after a carb overhaul.I went for the Ninja 1000 thinking that arthritis and a torn and seemingly unfixable rotator cuff dictated a lighter bike.This was an enjoyable bike that lives up to the moniker of "gentlemam's sportbike" that Cycle World gave it. Powerful, light, semi-upright riding position, luggage. There is indeed a noticeable buzz in the handlebars and the foot pegs. Foam grips eliminated the former, the latter I tuned out. But even before it was stolen I began to have doubts about its appropriateness for a 72 year old. I found myself wanting to see how far I could lean it into corners, how efficiently I could carve up dawdling traffic when there was no need really and for how long I could hold it at 135 + on those Texas country roads before the sphincter muscles kicked in. The bike just invited such behavior ..... and tickets. I got my first speeding ticket in over ten years on it ..... in the city!After it was stolen I test rode some used Ducati Multistradas that were in the price range of the insurance check, seduced by the journalistic hype. Interesting as a replacement for the Ninja 1000 but the brashness and busyness of a two cylinder motor contrasted too much with the smoothness of the inline four which I have ridden all my motorcycling life. Besides, it invites the same kind of behavior I wanted to get away from.So back to the big Kaw genre, back to where I started motorcycling, my first real bike being the original 1983 fuel injected GPZ 1100.I thought that the Connie would have been too ponderous but although I have not yet ridden it 500 miles, I love it already. Powerful but smooth and sedate, (who needs flickability) it seems the perfect steed to enjoy riding off into the sunset on. Old schooler that I am I haven't been even yet tempted to explore the electronic farkles available.So Guys, keep on riding and writing (thanks for the encouragement and endorsement to the 75 year old lister who posted in the current wave). I will need your technical expertise and experience when I have to (groan) adjust the C14 valves which involves removing the cams.Ride safe.Randy in New Orleans.