Fwd: Almost spring!

Charles Scappaticci scapco at ecentral.com
Tue Feb 27 07:22:44 PST 2018

We had a super nice weekend in Colorado weekend before last, so I took
advantage of the weather to get the street bikes out for a little work and
a short ride to blow the cobwebs out.

Saturday I pulled my BMW F800GT out to put a new battery in, as the
expensive Lithium one died in less than 8 months.  I also wanted to try out
the new adjustable windscreen I put on it a month ago. Very happy with the
lesser amount of wind which will be nice in the spring and fall.

I got the GPZ out Sunday to put the new registration on and take it for a
short spin. Even after nearly 21 years of ownership, it still manages to
put a smile on my face when I crank the throttle back and let it go. Now
that I have decided to keep it, I’ve got to do some work on it starting
with a valve adjustment, cam chain tensioner adjustment, new plugs, an oil
change and a carb sync. I will also start saving for a valve job as it’s
burning a little oil these days.

Interestingly, I found a set of Givi bag mounts for my BMW that will allow
me to put the GPZ’s bigger hard bags on it. The BMW’s bags are nice and
very well integrated, but only hold 55 liters and aren't really big enough
for a long trip. The European GPZ bags I got via Bob Sims many years ago,
are 72 liters and I can also use my small 21 liter Givi’s on the same
mounts. It will be interesting to see how it all works once I get them
mounted.

Here’s a picture on the big red rocket taken last Sunday.  Glad to see
quite a few listers still have their GPZ's.

Jim, I look forward to dinner with you and your better half a week from
this Saturday on the 10th in Daytona Beach.

Regards,
Charles S.