Who's left? Me raising my hand!

William K Denton wkdenton at verizon.net
Tue Feb 27 07:46:38 PST 2018

I've thought about selling the big ol' girl several times, and even listed it FS once, briefly, before coming to my senses.  I realized long ago that it's worth much more to me than anyone else, so I'm keeping it. At this point, the initial purchase price divided by years of ownership is down to $270/year, so how can I lose?

The bike is rock solid in so many ways that I've always had a hard time finding fault with it. My Report card after 20 years of ownership:

Price to value = A+
Long distance rides = A+
High speed sweepers = A+
Backroads = A
Tight technical riding = C+
Ride comfort = A* (* = equipped w/ GenMar risers and Russell daylong saddle)
Ease of maintenance = A** ( ** = carb R&R = D)
Cost of ownership = A (maintenance, insurance, & registration)
Fuel economy = A (because 42mpg running E10 in a 560 lb, 1100cc bike is awesome in my book!)
Dependability = A+ (insert sound of me knocking on wood)
Style/Looks = A (in a 90's sort of way lol)
Power/Acceleration A+
Passenger accommodations = A
Luggage = B- (the OEM "hard" bags look great and are roomy enough, but additional effort is req'd to keep contents dry)
Tire wear = B- (front always seems to cup, regardless of brand)
Weight = C ( at 560 lbs kinda porky, my only legitimate gripe)

Overall, this bike is great and I have never regretted buying or owning it. I've often thought (and even said out loud a few times) that if I had to sell all my bikes, the GPz would be the one I'd keep. Alas, since acquiring my '80 CB-X in 2003, the concept of selling all except one might be a bit more difficult to accomplish, because the X is such a deliciously complicated, yet brilliant piece of machinery, and fun to boot, so it would be very difficult to part with it.

Ahhhhh... first world problems. Have a great day, everyone!

William K. Denton
wkdenton at verizon.net
215-428-3981 home/office
267-980-7788 cell