Brake Woes

Ped gpz1100abs at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 14:09:29 PDT 2019

The front brake is very tolerant and can take A LOT of abuse before
heating up to the extent that the brake fluid starts boiling. My guess
is that one or both pistons in one of the calipers was hanging a little
bit so that is was already very hot when you reached the top and got
completely stuck when you braked harder. It sounds like your calipers
need a major overhaul with new O-ring seals and probably also new
pistons. If you want to have the brake lines replaced at the same time,
having the dealer do it is probably a good ides. A caliper overhaul
alone is no big deal and a complete set of spareparts would only cost
you around 60 Euros. I don't think the master cylinder is to blame.

A few years ago I decided to have the brake lines on mine replaced with
steel braded lines and I asked the local dealer to do the job. I was
very disappointed though because the brake lever was at least as spongy
as before, and I pointed this out to the mechanic; he said that they had
flushed the system several times in order to get it harder and was
convinced that there were no air bubbles in the system. He thought the
calipers were to blame and recommended they be replaced. I could not
find anything wrong with the calipers, however and tried myself to flush
the system several times - to no avail. I rode that season with a spongy
brake that I was not too happy with. During winter maintenance I decided
to try and flush the system again, this time in accordance with a
procedure recommended by someone in a Danish forum. I unmounted both
calipers and hung them up in a piece of string from the ceiling so that
the calipers were just below the master cylinder. While the wife was
pouring fresh brake fluid in the master cylinder I used a vacuum pump to
suck fluid first from one caliper, then the other while at the same time
tapping lightly on the brake lines with a screwdriver. And bingo! After
having put everything back together the brake lever was as hard as ever.
So even mechanics can have a hard time getting all the air out of the
GPZ's brake system. If the brake lever is anything other than rock hard
when you get it back, the before mentioned procedure works :)

Ped
'96 "Black Stealth" GPZ
Denmark