DIY tire change

Randolph Peters arpee44 at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 9 14:59:03 PDT 2020

 Hi Guys, Still lurking still liking the random posts.Just wanted to share with y'all my recent experience changing tires myself.Last time I did it was about 18 years ago when I bought the Harbor Freight rig and motorcycle attachment, rim buddies, etc and armed with my gym- enhanced strength had the most frustrating energy-sapping, experience that sent me running to the repair shop thereafter.Fast forward to the present where I needed to replace tire pressure monitor batteries on both wheels and the front tire of the Concours 14.I saw the Motorcyclist mag. MC garage video on diy tire changingHow To Change & Balance Your Own Motorcycle Tires | MC GARAGE

|  |  |

|  |
How To Change & Balance Your Own Motorcycle Tires | MC GARAGE

 and since I have not been in any shop, supermarket, or public space since mid-March because of Covid and my condition (advanced heart failure due to amyloidosis) I decided to do it myself after ordering the tools and tire from Amazon.Folks, let me tell you that the Motion Pro tools (bead breaker and tire irons) work as advertised. The process in the video is effective. Even with my severely depleted strength and stamina I was able to change both tires (frequent rests, and separation of the job into doable tasks) just as illustrated in the video. Maybe 95 degree ambient temp helped - softened tires. The only flaw was that I dispensed with the rim protectors (required more strength than I had to get the spoon between them and the tire the last few inches of levering on the bead). The result is nicked rims but since the Connie's are straight up black gloss nothing that a can of spray paint can't touch up.I did the balancing using leveled jack stands and the wheel axles and think it worked good because with the rear tire it was only necessary to get one bead off the rim to get access to the TPMS and I carefully marked the position of the tire before opening it. On completion I removed the weights (factory installed) and tested the "balancer" and had to put them (new ones) back exactly where they were.Hope y'all find this informative.Keep safe guys, on and off the bike.Randy in New Orleans.Former owner of 95 Gpz 11002004? ZZR 12002012 Ninja 1000Now owner of 2014 Concours 14