CR8EK vs. CR9EK

Chris Bowen c_p_bowen at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 7 12:28:28 PDT 2021

Hey gang:

Getting the bike back up a running after too much time idle (the bike, sadly, not me!).
(Micron w/DynoJet Stage 1 jet kit, Muzzy block off plates, stock air box)

Wasn't catching.  So cleaned the carbs and no joy.
Double checked battery - full charge, no voltage drops not under load, good condition.
Checked resistance on the plug caps - 4.5-5.5
Pulled the plugs - carbon black.

Swapped the plugs.
4 new CR9EK plugs later, ticking over with full choke, but wouldn't take throttle.

Checked for spark (old plug on cap, resting on engine, turn it over: spark!  Tested the other three - same)

Adjusted the pilots 1/8 turn left - worse
Adjusted the pilots 1/4 turn right - better

Pulled plugs - they look good, not wet.

So now I'm going to screw them all the way in and start from two turns out and adjust to get to a good idle.

Got me musing about hotter plugs (CR8EK):  when would you need to/why would you want to run a hotter spark plug?

CB in PA
'95 GPZ