[Sheepranch] Health policy for this year?

jtferreira at comcast.net jtferreira at comcast.net
Fri May 20 11:56:17 PDT 2022

Tam et al,

I too am comfortable with outside visiting.  Since the inside contact will be extended close contact, maskless, I would appreciate a negative home-test result on the day we meet.  Given COVID is ever more contagious and we are coming from different regions, and that the home tests are less sensitive than the PCR test (and thus the viral load is higher to be positive) I would not be comfortable indoors without the negative test.  Too many people in my life with underlying conditions, some of whom cannot even get the vaccine due to those complications.

As a total aside, the USGS just instituted more stringent requirements for our folk on travel.  If one gets a positive test while on travel, they must quarentine in place and cannot travel home for 10 days minimum with a proctored negative test is required after the 10 days (i.e. administered at a pharmacy, etc. — not a home test).  Close contact exposure to a confirmed case gets us isolated for 5 days, then if a proctored negative test result is achieved, you get to come home.  This is seriously expensive (hotel rooms, per diem, etc.) and appears to be an attempt to keep new varients out of our local workforce.  I was rather surprised by how stringent this is — it’s a huge problem for those with child care issues if fieldwork gets extended beyond planned dates.

Looking forward to Sleeping!  (Please note:  it is safe to wear flannel this year.   Darn.)

Joanne