[Tanx] Drive chain and sprockets

Jeffrey Wheeler jeswheel at nep.net
Thu Feb 18 06:14:21 PST 2021

I have just installed new chain and sprockets after more than 17,000
miles, on my Alp which I purchased thru https://sprocketcenter.com/.
They're out of California and provided an easy to use site & great
service at good prices, start at $163/kit, with several choices of chain
quality and sprocket sizes. I've become accustomed to endless chains
which they don't offer so I purchased a small tool to press the master
link plate eliminating the clip. I've became accustomed to pulling the
swingarm for re-chaining enabling a thorough cleaning and inspecting the
bearings. On my original Transalp of 55k mostly commuting miles I would
need a new after 10,000 miles of every day hard riding regardless of
weather and our dirt roads,put up wet, which most likely shortened the
chains life. All were DID's, endless sealed o-ring except one standard
chain which wore out within 5,000 miles, at 1/2 the price thru Honda
dealer at the time, and the second TA had a new gold plated chain which
I thought enhanced the wear factor but most likely just looked nicer. At
this time of chain change I went with the original specs as always,
(almost chose to increase rear sprocket 2 teeth for more off road grunt)
except choose Gold finish and will try to keep it cleaner and go for
20,000 miles as they claim is possible.  Hope this helps. Happy
wrenching, Jeff