[Tanx] Friend looking for a TA for sale someplace in New England

Jason Howell jphphoto at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 10:34:15 PST 2021

$3500 would be fair for a turn key TA, IF you really wanted one. When you
start fixing mechanical things and adding proper protection costs rise
quickly. Pay now or pay later.

I sold my R90/6 (not S) for $3400 (I bought it not running for $1400 but
put dumb money in it to get it road worthy) to buy my TA with Adam's help
and had money left over to pay for upgrades and fixes and still have some
left over. . Beth refers to BMWs as Bavarian Money Wasters. I enjoyed it
while I had it and put lots of miles riding all over the east coast with
it.

My $1800 TA will probably run close to Adam's estimate of $2700 after I add
the essentials and work through minor mechanical issues. Carbs
needed cleaning but it did ok before that. Minor hesitation off idle and
slow warm up. One float height was low and an idle jet was clogged a little
more than the other. I am able to do the work myself and enjoy doing so
most of the time. It had less than 9,000 miles on the clock so the extra
work should be worth the effort and cost. If someone doesn't have the time
or ability to fix it themselves, $3500 is good money for something you
WANT.

In the process of checking my valves. What a PITA this is. Radiators off
and carbs to get access to the valve inspection covers. Putting new plugs
in while I'm down there too. I don't plan on ever doing that again till the
bike makes me!!

List of things I considered essential in a "turn key" TA:
All regular maintenance up to date and no mechanical work needed.
crash bars
proper skid plate
proper wrap around handguards
relatively new tires (not 5 years old)

Bonuses:
luggage racks
panniers
top case (if you're into that kinda luggage)
upgraded front disk brake
Race Tech suspension
upgraded rear shock
tires that suit where you want to ride it
other useful FARKLES . . .

It's snowing again in NY. At least I'm not in Ted Cruz's jurisdiction!