VR time for change?

Ped gpz1100abs at gmail.com
Sun Nov 8 10:06:18 PST 2015

15.2 volts do not sound alarming and probably won't hurt the electrical
system. It's worth keeping an eye on though. I had the overcharge
problem many years ago but it was more severe - over 18 volts. It killed
two batteries with two years apart - and both times in Italy of all
places. It wasn't until I got home after the second battery replacement
that I thought of measuring the charging voltage, because everything
worked the way it should. No blown light bulbs or anything. Without
asking for any advice first I thought 'it's the voltage regulator' and
got one off ebay. But after replacement the charging voltage was still
over 18 volts. So I thought 'okay, its gotta be the generator, better
get another one then' and got one from a wrecked motorcycle, also from
ebay. Can you imagine my frustration when the charging voltage was still
over 18 volts? Two generators with the same failure, not to mention the
new voltage regulator that I had replaced in the first generator? I then
(finally) turned to a Danish motorcycle forum for advice and got this
answer: There are three wires from the generator and one of them (the
brown wire) measures the voltage in the wiring harness. If the voltage
is low for whatever reason the generator increases its output to
compensate. You can check the operation of the voltage regulator by
cutting the brown wire, fit an extension wire to it and connect it to
the plus pole of the battery. Now run the engine and measure the
charging voltage. If it has dropped to 14.2 - 14.8 volts the voltage
regulator is okay and the electrical fault is elsewhere in the system. I
failed to locate the fault, so my 'temporary fix' is now more than 10
years old: The brown wire from the generator is permanently connected to
the battery plus pole via a standard automobile relay which is 'on'
whenever the ignition key is turned to 'on'. This has worked for me -
might work for you too ;)

Ped
'96 "Black Stealth" GPZ
Denmark