[BaseCamp] Breaking up a route

Greg Horodeck greghoro at gmail.com
Tue Apr 14 10:37:43 PDT 2015

Not sure if I used the proper term in the subject. Looking for a better
solution to a problem I have than the one(s) I am using.

On a long route, say from Chicago to Albuquerque, I want to break it into
three rather equal daily segments. Either by mileage or by time. Since most
of my travel will  be  on Interstate, either time or mileage based should
be relatively synonymous.

While it is very simple to plan the route to determine the total
mileage/time and divide by the number of segments, the problem I'm having is
determining just where on the route the segment break point(s) are.

I've looked at the Route Directions, which can help to SWAG an approximate
location. However, on long stretches where the road does not change,  I
still end up with a bit of trial and error. Using the Measure tool is also
helpful, more so on a relatively straight route.

Another technique I've used is time based, using Streets & Trips. One can
specify the number of hours one drives per day in planning the route and let
S&T show where the stopover is.  Divide the total route travel time by the
number of desired segments  to determine the daily driving time.  I am not
aware of an analog to this within BaseCamp. Other problems with this
technique is that BaseCamp and S&T have different routing algorithms. While
using two different software solutions adds complexity to the solution, it
is not a deal breaker.

I can see this being useful for planning a long point to point ride such as
a Four Corners or Ultimate Coast to Coast. Or even figuring out potential
gas stops for a Certification ride based on fuel range.

Thoughts?

Greg