[BaseCamp] Route Transfer to Zumo dropping waypoints

saddle sore ironbutter at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 10:04:35 PDT 2015

Billy
I'm not sure if I can help since I don't have a 550 nor experience the
dropping of waypoints when downloading routes and waypoints to my device.
It could be that you have a 550 issue not a BaseCamp issue.  Hopefully
others with 550s will chime in.  But some questions may help you think
through it further.

One thing I do notice with my device is that it does not support all of the
waypoint icon options that BaseCamp has.  When using BaseCamp for mapping,
I do use various waypoint icons and if I forget to convert them to one that
I know my device supports, the waypoints still get transferred but they are
not the icon I want/need.  Instead, my device turns them into black
squares.  So, in light of that, is your device supporting all of the
waypoint icons in BaseCamp or are the ones being dropped a particular
icon?  Do you have to select a different waypoint icon before downloading
to your 550?

When the waypoints get dropped, are they excluded from the route directions
too, or can you open the turn by turn directions and see that the waypoints
are still "in" the route?    If you followed the route, would you still get
to the waypoint?

As far as breaking your route into multiple pieces, again I think that is a
550 issue not a BaseCamp issue.  My device has a limited number of turns
and once that limit is reached, it will automatically truncate my route.
The length of the route doesn't matter, what matters apparently is how
complex the directions are, and thus the more turns in the directions the
quicker my device will truncate the route.  I've learned to enter pieces of
a route like you are doing, and also have learned to travel from waypoint
to waypoint rather than travel by route.

How close or far away the software plants the waypoint marker to your
actual bonus site can depend on the "accuracy" of the GPS as well as the
software.  Before you go, drop your route into Google Earth Pro and "ride"
the route via the computer.  You'll see exactly where bonus sites are and
where your turns are.  You can make adjustments to your waypoint locations
before you load your route to your 550.

Joe Y
western PA