[BaseCamp] Mieage mismatch in route detail v. ruler

Dave Arkle dave at expertfriend.com
Wed Oct 5 08:50:52 PDT 2016

Hi all

Ok, so I'm planning a route for the Void, and I have discovered something
that is making me not trust Basecamp for routing.

The rally start happens to be near where I live, so I know the area. I know
for a fact the first bonus I'm going to is X miles from that spot
(roughly...I don't literally know the precise number), but when I
double-click the route to get the detail/way point list view, it says the
distance to that point is about 30% of X. If I use the ruler tool, I get a
number that jibes with my guess as to how far it is (X).

Curiously, if I look at the distance from bonus 1 to bonus 2 (half of which
is back tracking) the mileage is correct.

Is this common? I was using the distance between each bonus as the focal
point of all of my route planning and timing, but if this is common, I'm
screwed.

I'm dreading the answer to this question, as this is my first rally, and if
I can't plan it this way I'm not sure how I'll plan it...maybe just go
ultra conservative so that I can't go over time I suppose. Ugh.

--
Dave Arkle