[BaseCamp] BC message: "maps not installed on device"

saddle sore ironbutter at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 09:51:23 PDT 2018

Sort of an epilogue to my issue last week about BC giving me a "maps not
installed" error.  I was playing around with some smaller routes this
morning.  I loaded one to the Zumo and got the error message again.  WHAT?
I was a bit flustered, since everything worked fine after I reloaded the
maps.  So, very slowly, I walked myself through the process of sending a
route to my device from BC.  I am embarrassed to say that I think the error
message from BC was probably user induced.  This morning I sent a route to
the Zumo and got the error.  Then I cleared everything and tried again, but
this time sending it to the external storage card.  Ta da, it worked fine.
I even previewed the route on my Zumo screen and it was exactly the same as
the one on my laptop in BC.     The take-away for me is that I need to load
my routes to the external SD card.  It must have something to do with the
Zumo holding part of the North America maps and the external card holding
the other part.  But I'm not going to try and guess what that something
is.  I just need to remember to load routes to the memory card, not to the
device.