[BaseCamp] Zumo 396 won't connect to computer

Jerry White jerrywhite518 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 11:12:51 PST 2020

I have a problem that's gone from bad to worse and now it's completely
broken. My 396 refuses to connect to my laptop so I can move data from
Basecamp to it.

I plug it into a USB cable (have tried multiple cables) and into the
laptop. It says "USB Connection detected" and counts down from 20 to zero.
Then it switches to the screen with Garmin in large letters, and an icon of
the GPS connected to a tower computer. That icon is sometimes white and
sometimes orange. No matter what color it is, it never appears as a mounted
drive in Windows, and it never appears in Basecamp.

I have gone into the secret menu and changed the MTP settings to all of the
available options. Nothing ever works.

This is very frustrating because I'm about to go on a week-long trip and I
want to put my stuff into the GPS. Garmin support is of course closed on
weekends. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jerry